Inspired by Hairy.
Ten things I wish were real:
- Magic. This has been my number one wish for real status for a very long time. I love fantasy and the idea of magic, and I wish it existed somewhere in the world in any of its forms – Lord of the Rings Gandalf style, Potter and wands style, Pratchett’s take on magic, Dungeons and Dragons style magic and so on. There are so many different ways that magic is portrayed, surely we can just have one?!
- Time travel. As demonstrated beautifully by the Doctor last night because I watched it and it was stupendous, I would like to be able to travel in time. I would totally go back to the medieval period! How about you? Not just time travel, I actually think having a TARDIS would be best.
- Space exploration. I’m never going to go to space and that’s a bit sad. I read a lot of Asimov’s short stories when I was younger and a lot of them were about space exploration and galactic missions. I won’t ever do that, and I don’t know how long it will be until we can.
- Hairy’s input – super powers. I’m pretty sure Hairy would love to be Superman! I mean, he’s got the belt and everything
- Dragons – have you ever seen Toothless from How to Train Your Dragon? I would love to have him as my dragon!
- Stolen inspiration from here – the alethiometer from Pullman’s His Dark Materials. In case you foolishly don’t know what that is, it’s a beautiful thing that looks like a compass that tells the user the truth. It’s complex, subtle and can tell you anything from past, present and future.
- Daemons. Leading on from the Dark Materials theme, daemons are an embodiment of your soul (as far as I can remember) that can shift into any animal shape when you’re a child and settle into one shape once they “feel a lover’s hand on them” – basically as you grow up. It’s not perfect and in the story one guy has to stay on a ship at all times because his daemon is a dolphin. It sums up who you are and it would mean someone always there for you.
- Babel fish, or a Tardis to translate for you! Babel fish is from The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. It’s a little fish that lives in your ear and translates every language around you so you can understand it. The Tardis is pretty similar, except it means you can read and speak the other language perfectly although I guess the Babel fish does that too. How cool would that be?
- A stupid filter for the internet. I would probably throw money at the person who invented a filter to stop stupid things happening on the internet. I don’t mean videos of cats falling off stuff, just something to stop horrible unthinking gubbins like some of the horrendous misogynistic sites where the contributors hate everyone who isn’t a middle class white hetero cis male.
- A final input from Hairy for me: all of Disney’s side characters to be real. Mushu, ALL THE AMAZING HORSES WHO HAVE ALL THE COMMON SENSE THAT THE PROTAGONISTS FAIL ON, Lumiere, Pascal, Baloo the bear! It would totally be amazing. I want them to be real!
So, what thinkest you guys? What do you wish was real?